Getting a healthy start of the day is the most important thing for everyone. First and foremost, eating a healthy and sumptuous breakfast provides the body with the necessary fuel to kick start the day. As the name suggest break-fast provides the body and our brain with the fuel after the long night’s fast. A heavy breakfast is recommended by dietitians.
Dietitian Sheela Seharawat, one of the youngest successful entrepreneur of India and founder & chief mentor of Diet Clinic Health Care Pvt Ltd, explains the reasons behind it.
Why is a Good Breakfast Essential?
Dietitians around the world say that choosing to eat nutritious and good quantity and quality breakfast is very important for achieving optimal health. In order to understand why it is always recommended to eat breakfast, noted below are some reasons:
- A good morning meal helps to energize the body, making you productive and active till you have your next meal.
- A nutritious breakfast keeps you full for a longer period of time and makes you avoid overeating later during the day and also reduces food cravings.
- Starting the day with breakfast boosts metabolism and keeps blood sugar levels stable for the rest of the day.
- Eating breakfast is also associated with lower risks of heart diseases.
- Having breakfast is not only associated with a healthy body, but also helps develop a healthy mind. Eating breakfast that is fuller and nutritious improves concentration and productivity.
Some advice from nutritionists:
- You should have your breakfast within two hours of getting up from sleep.
- Your breakfast should provide you with almost 25 to 30% of the calories out of the total daily calories recommended.
- Whether a banana or a glass of fruit juice, always include some fruits and veggies in your breakfast as they are high in vitamins required for the body.
- Breakfast is a great mean to manage weight. People who eat breakfast are less likely to gain weight than those who miss their breakfasts.
With breakfast being the most important meal of the day, how much is enough?
Now that we know the many benefits of having a qualitative and quantitative breakfast, it is also very important to know and understand what and how much is good enough to do all the good to us. A healthy breakfast should contain proteins, fruits, whole grains and vegetables.
Here are some guideline to plan your breakfast to ensure that you have had the right quantity to make you cruise through the day and its benefits:
- High proportionate intake of food in the morning means lower intake during the day.
- The portion sizes depends on age, sex and activities involved into. As a general guideline, it should have about 25 percent protein, 25 percent carbohydrates, and 50 percent fruits and/or vegetables.
- One third of the daily calorie need should be fulfilled in the morning through breakfast.
- Eating more in the morning helps in the control of end of the day stress, exhaustion and emotional issues. It also protects you from eating more during the day.
A healthy breakfast sets you up for more nutritious choices during the day. Fuel your mornings with breakfast by taking just a few minutes to have something to eat which can really make a difference to your day. Size your first meal according to your needs and make sure that you follow it religiously.